Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » conversion to UTF8
conversion to UTF8 [message #61968] Mon, 14 June 2004 13:20 Go to next message
Prasad
Hello All,

As we are converting to UTF8 from US7ASCII, My database has CLOB columns table in SYS and SYSTEM schemas.It is not allowing us to change the character set, I got

ORA-12716: Cannot ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET when CLOB data exists error message.

So we have planned these steps: 

1.export tables having CLOB columns

2.drop tables.

3.ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET TO UTF8;

4.Import the tables having CLOB columns.

And my question is " Is it possible to export ,then drop, and import the SYS and SYSTEM tables" while converting to different character set.

Best Regards,

Prasad
Re: conversion to UTF8 [message #61977 is a reply to message #61968] Tue, 15 June 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

SYS objects will not be exported, SYSTEM objects will.

BTW: what are these objects doing in SYS and SYSTEM anyway? User objects should never belong to these schemas!

Best regards.

Frank
Re: conversion to UTF8 [message #61979 is a reply to message #61977] Tue, 15 June 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasad
Hi Frank,

We are using Oracle9i database.There is no CLOB column tables in User schema.but these tables exist in SYS and SYSTEM schemas.
I found this clause on Net
"The Oracle9i data dictionary now contains data in CLOB datatypes, if the database character set is to migrate from single byte to multiple byte or vice versa via the ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET command, the operation will fail with the error ORA-12716 Cannot ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET when CLOB data exists. The current workaround is to create a new database using your target database character set and migrate your data using the export and import utilities. "

In this case,How to migrate a database charcter set to UTF8 from US7ASCII without creating new database.

Best Regards,
Prasad
Re: conversion to UTF8 [message #62008 is a reply to message #61979] Thu, 17 June 2004 05:54 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Hi,

Now I understand:

"If SYS.METASTYLESHEET (STYLESHEET) is populated (9i and up only) then see [[NOTE:213015.1]] 'SYS.METASTYLESHEET marked as having convertible data (ORA-12716 when trying to convert character set)' for the actions that need to be taken."

A workaround is mentioned in Metalink Note: 213015.1

Best regards.

Frank
Previous Topic: file_id,block_id in dba_free_space
Next Topic: How to resize Temp tablespace ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:32:09 CDT 2024