Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem with Language conversion
Problem with Language conversion [message #61470] Tue, 27 April 2004 06:47 Go to next message
Raju KVG
Hi All,

Iam trying to execute a procedure, which prints some set of reults using dbms_output.put_line. but when i execute the same it is giving me the following error.

ERROR:
ORA-06550: line 1, column 29:
PLS-00553: character set name is not recognized
ORA-06550: line 0, column 0:
PL/SQL: Compilation unit analysis terminated

Also i got this error before

ORA-12703 this character set conversion is not supported

Cause:
An attempt was made to use the CONVERT function to convert

between two character sets, and the requested conversion is not possible due to

unavailability of one or both character sets.

Action:
Use character sets available on the system in the CONVERT function.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The character set for this database is AL32UTF8 and i tried changing my NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 still it is not working.

I ran the same script in different database with WE8ISO8859P1 as nls_language. and changed my nls_lang to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 it is giving me the output. Can you suggest me whats the problem over here.

Regards,

Raju
Re: Problem with Language conversion [message #61472 is a reply to message #61470] Tue, 27 April 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anatol Ciolac
If you are change NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 it doesn't mean that you are changed a national character set of database. It mean that you are changed default setting for your Oracle enviroment. For resolving problem, you must change a national character set of your database(not quickly and easy operation). Or you can to restore you NLS_LANG settings and do type that all is good and you have not any errors :-))).
Re: Problem with Language conversion [message #61518 is a reply to message #61472] Fri, 30 April 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raju KVG
Hi Anatol Ciolac ,
Well iam aware that iam changing the local envirlment settings only. But the case i mentioned i cannot change the server settings . Without that can i retrive the data. is there any possibility?

Regards,
Raju
Re: Problem with Language conversion [message #61527 is a reply to message #61518] Sat, 01 May 2004 07:23 Go to previous message
Anatol Ciolac
You can use a export/import but again import utility will show that import will be perform with other charset and possibly you will get a incorrect values in fields with nchar or nvarchar2 types. Generally you can have all databases only in one charset - UTF8 and here you will be possible to put data in all languages and have not any problems with converting charsets. Oracle 9i have only this national charset. Also I am finded some commands on changing charset of database but I am not tested them(this is a http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/21904/0/ conversation):
1. SVRMGR> CONNECT INTERNAL
2. SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
3. SVRMGR> STARTUP MOUNT
4. SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;
5. SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
6. SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
7. SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET US7ASCII;
8. SVRMGR> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
9. SVRMGR> EXIT
10. Adjust NLS_LANG in the environment

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 23:32]

Report message to a moderator