Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Odd 8i client issue, need some troubleshooting guidance
Odd 8i client issue, need some troubleshooting guidance [message #60095] Thu, 15 January 2004 08:07 Go to next message
Steve Wolfe
We just upgrade one of our Oracle DB servers from 9.1 to 9.2 running under W2K server on a AD2K domain.  We also upgraded the server H/W.

Our clients are Oracle 8i clients, some of the clients are P3 clients and others are P4 clients, both P3 and P4 clients are running Win2K SP3.

Here is my dilemma, the P3 clients issue a ORA-12154 error when I try to logon onto the database using the PowerBuilder application client.  The ORA-12154 error means:

TNS:  Could not resolve service name.

On the P4 machines, there is no problem, app client connect through the Oracle client five-by-five (that means OK).

On the P3 clients, I can connect to the server by doing either a TNSPING or using SQL-Plus and the appropriate user account.  I looked into the TNSNAMES>ORA file and found the service definition had the AD2K domain appended to it. 

Why are the P3 clients behaving this way?  What should I do to correct the problem?

TIA

v/r

stephen.wolfe@macdill.af.mil

Re: Odd 8i client issue, need some troubleshooting guidance [message #60107 is a reply to message #60095] Thu, 15 January 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
etryblr
1.I donot know/think so the problem is b'coz of P3/P4

2.Chk out whether the connect strings in tnsnames.ora on both the machines(P3/P4) are same.

3.How many Oracle_homes u have in P3 machines?

regards
Prashanth
Re: Odd 8i client issue, need some troubleshooting guidance [message #60118 is a reply to message #60107] Fri, 16 January 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Wolfe
The P3s have two oracle homes, one, that is active and the other that is inactive. I, too, thought that was the problem and removed the inactive oracle home.

The service name in the TNSNAMES.ORA file is specified by TPOCS.amc.ds.af.mil, the amc.ds.af.mil part is the AD2K domain.

When we were running Oracle 9.1 this worked fine, but when we upgraded to 9.2 we get the ORA-12154 error. If I edit the AD2K domain out leaving just TPOCS I can connect -- at least on one machine. I tried the same on a different P3 (the next desk) and it didn't work.

Yet, on our new P4 clients with single Oracle homes leaving the AD2K extention works fine.

I wish I could figure this out.
Re: Odd 8i client issue, need some troubleshooting guidance [message #60137 is a reply to message #60118] Sun, 18 January 2004 18:07 Go to previous message
etryblr
>>On the P3 clients, I can connect to the server by >>doing either a TNSPING or using SQL-Plus and the >>appropriate user account.

1.let me know how do u connect to oracle server thro sqlplus on P3 machines.
2.Check in the path,what's the oracle_home assigned to?

regds

Prashanth
Previous Topic: Archive process error
Next Topic: Oracle server error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:20:56 CDT 2024