Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem Commit instant working??
Problem Commit instant working?? [message #59825] Sun, 28 December 2003 18:06 Go to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi all,

I have one question regarding working of commit. Suppose we commit any transaction, then the changes r saved into online redolog file immediately. Now after checkpoint only this information is saved into datafiles. So let us say we commit any transaction & suppose the checkpoint has not yet occured, then how come we r able to retrieve the changes immediately after commit even though the CHKPT has not occured .

Pls. let me know the missing.

TIA,
Sachin K. Gupta
Re: Problem Commit instant working?? [message #59826 is a reply to message #59825] Sun, 28 December 2003 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

if by "how come we r able to retrieve the changes " u mean that we can't access the committed blocks unless checkpoint, so it is not true. I am putting some light on this concept and if u also explore little more wht u want so it will good for us to explain.

Well at checkpoint not only committed but all the dirty buffers get written to disk. So before checkpoin t all the committed transactions which are also in ur redo log files are available in DB buffers and we can access those blocks directly from buffers.

Now at this point if system crash then these transactions are avaliable in redo logs and oracle will recover them from redo logs in instance recovery.
By this the committed data will never lost.

Daljit Singh
Re: Problem Commit instant working?? [message #59827 is a reply to message #59826] Sun, 28 December 2003 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Thnx a lot Daljit

Sachin
Re: Problem Commit instant working?? [message #59841 is a reply to message #59825] Mon, 29 December 2003 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Sachin,
one more correction.

"Now after checkpoint only this information is saved into datafiles."

DBWR writes modified blocks(committed or uncommitted) from the buffer cache into the datafiles , not just during the checkpoints but also when it cannot find a 'free buffer' after scanning a threshold (DBWR scan depth) number of buffers, when posted by the Server process or after DBWR timeout(3 seconds).

Also when using incremental checkpoints (DB_BLOCK_MAX_DIRTY_TARGET in 8i) or fast start checkpointing(FAST_START_MTTR_TARGET) the DBWR writes the dirty buffers and incrementally advances the checkpoint position to limit the instance recovery time.

-Thiru
Re: Problem Commit instant working?? [message #59848 is a reply to message #59841] Mon, 29 December 2003 18:17 Go to previous message
sachin kumar gupta
Thnx a lot Thiru.

Sachin
Previous Topic: what is difference............
Next Topic: Regarding RDBMS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:45:29 CDT 2024