Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » problem with UNION ALL
problem with UNION ALL [message #59708] Wed, 17 December 2003 21:04 Go to next message
ora
Hi Everybody,

I am facing a problem i.e. i have written procedure which select data from some tables for different scenarios. There are 9 diff scenarios means i have written 9 different SQL SELECT statements. After that i have to insert this data from diff sql queries to a single table. All the sql queries are retreiving same columns but with different base conditions. So, to insert data into table i am using UNION ALL to make a single recordset and then i am inserting this records into table using a single insert statement like :

insert into table_name (col1,col2...)
(
select col1,col2... from tab1 where....
union all
union all
);

And this type of query is taking about 4 minutes to insert the data. Out of these queries only 2 are retreiving the data and all others returns null. In other words to insert only about 15 records it is taking 4 minutes which is untolerated.

And wht surprise me is when i insert this data using 9 different insert statement means without UNION ALL then it is taking around 4 senconds.

So i want to know wht's behind this? Wht's wrong with union all?

Tables which i am using not contain more then 3 lakh records.
Re: problem with UNION ALL [message #59723 is a reply to message #59708] Thu, 18 December 2003 04:53 Go to previous message
Thiru
1. Analyze all the tables involved
2. Setup autotrace
3. Post us the explain plan with statistics from autotrace

-Thiru
Previous Topic: alter parameter dynamically
Next Topic: views mount/nomount/open dynamic/static
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:23:47 CDT 2024