Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » restore database in different file system
restore database in different file system [message #59677] Mon, 15 December 2003 19:46 Go to next message
Voblane
I backup database in WinNT using Recovery Manager.
Can anybody tell me how to restore it in Linux without using recovery catalog. I suppose it should be easy if destination filesystem would be like source filesystem - just put the files to the same places they were in WinNT. But I cannot put backup files to the places like c:aaaee in Linux.
Do I miss something? Can anybody help me?

thanks
voblane
Re: restore database in different file system [message #59681 is a reply to message #59677] Tue, 16 December 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
i believe, the only way to move databases across the Operating systems is to export and import.
The RMAN backuppieces created in one OS cannot be used to restore in another OS ( windows -> linux)
( but u can use it to restore in the same OS but different version sunOS 7 -> sunOS 8).
Moreover u are actually looking into duplicating the database ( in windows) to linux.
RMAN duplication or clone requires that the filesytem used for backup ( in sourceMachine) should be available as 'local' filesystem in target machine.
like in unix, u can nfs mount the source:/backup to target:/backup and run duplicate commands in target.

Re: restore database in different file system [message #59688 is a reply to message #59677] Tue, 16 December 2003 04:36 Go to previous message
Thiru
Mahesh is right. You cannot use RMAN to duplicate databases across different platforms as the backup pieces are OS dependent. Export/Import is the only 'supported & trusted' way to do this kind of migration.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: oracle 9i low performance on hp9000 server
Next Topic: Cross Platform Scheduling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:41:01 CDT 2024