Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Cloning a database
Cloning a database [message #59458] Sun, 23 November 2003 00:09 Go to next message
A.C.Dey
Hi friends,
I have a problem. I am running oracle 7.3.2 under sco unix and now I need to transafer the entire database to another win2k server which is running oracle 8i. I have tried with exp and imp, but it’s not helping. Lot of errors are coming. I have heard that using database cloning this can be achieved. Can anybody help me out by providing the scripts I have to use for both SCO Unix and Win2K.
Thanx in advance,
a.c.dey
Re: Cloning a database [message #59459 is a reply to message #59458] Sun, 23 November 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Export/Import should work. Make sure to use the same RECORDLENGTH parameter in both export and import. Try to use the same NLS_LANG environmental variable . Its the only Oracle supported way of migrating a database from one platform to another.

Export using 7.3 'exp' binary,precreate the database in 8i and Import using 8i 'imp'.

-Thiru
Re: Cloning a database [message #59461 is a reply to message #59459] Sun, 23 November 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A.C.Dey
thanx Thiru,
but this is possible if i create all the tablespace and users account in the target database exactly as per those existing in the source database. importing is not creating the tablespace and user accounts as per the source database automatically. as i have lot of user accounts how can i do it using cloning?
a.c.dey
Re: Cloning a database [message #59466 is a reply to message #59461] Mon, 24 November 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Since you are moving to a completely different platform(ie to Windows from Unix), I suggest precreating those tablespaces (they need not be exactly the same(ie filenames,sizes,storage characterstics can differ )) and user accounts and import the schemas. I believe you only have a handful of scheams ,but a number of users.
In any case, I dont see any problem here. You can reverse engineer the user creation scripts from the Unix database ,to be used at the Windows database. I believe I have posted such a script here earlier.

I am not sure of what 'database cloning' you are mentioning here ?

All the best.
-Thiru
Re: Cloning a database [message #59467 is a reply to message #59461] Mon, 24 November 2003 06:03 Go to previous message
Thiru
There are 3 other ways I can think of ,to migrate the database across different platforms :

1.Extract data into ascii text files from source,precreate the tables at the target database and load them into the target using sqlloader
2. Sqlplus COPY across the network
3. Create Table as Select over database link

But Exp/Imp is the easiest of all of these and I have done it on a number of occasions to perform cross platform migration.

The only database cloning method that I have come across so far makes use of cold backups or Hotbackups ,both of which wont work here ,becos of the completely different platforms.
Previous Topic: delete stmt.
Next Topic: Temporary Tables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:18:15 CDT 2024