Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » last_call_et column on v$session
last_call_et column on v$session [message #59222] Wed, 05 November 2003 03:16 Go to next message
Celia
Hi I am trying to find the definitive length of time that a session has been idle.
What measurement is last_call_et in? Is it seconds, minutes etc and how often is this field updated for INACTIVE sessions?
On all the FAQ I've read, it seems to suggest that last_call_et is in seconds but 15 minutes after running some sql, the last_call_et value for my session still says 3.
Re: last_call_et column on v$session [message #59223 is a reply to message #59222] Wed, 05 November 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Tom Kyte to the rescue...again. Amazing what this guy has done. Anyway, here you go.

Put asktom.oracle.com in your favourites. It's worth it.

MHE
Re: last_call_et column on v$session [message #59225 is a reply to message #59223] Wed, 05 November 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celia
Thanks. Yes I have similar code but my question was really whether last_call_et was always guaranteed to be the number of SECONDS of idle time and how often Oracle updated this field. I had a test idle session for over 20 mins and last_call_et still said 3.
Re: last_call_et column on v$session [message #59229 is a reply to message #59225] Wed, 05 November 2003 05:59 Go to previous message
Maaher
No, I don't think it is guaranteed to be updated frequently, like Tom said one of his pages (quote):
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: the last_call_et column might not be updated frequently if you are not
using timed statistics. It'll get updated about every 40 seconds or so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(end quote)

But I've just seen a Metalink document referring to a Bug (#1540012) which might cause this incorrect value. The bug was confirmed for 8.1.7.4 and was believed to be reproducable for earlier versions (every OS) too. Unfortunately it's an internal bug, so not accessible to the public. It should be fixed in 9i.

MHE
Previous Topic: scheduling/Thiru
Next Topic: table partitioning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:34:05 CDT 2024