Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » ORA-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter Error
ORA-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter Error [message #58999] Mon, 20 October 2003 21:35 Go to next message
LT
I wonder if anyonce can help me with my problem. I have just created a new database but when I try and run a script against it I just get the above error message.

I have checked my tnsnames and sqlnet files and all appears to be well.

Thanks In Advance!
Re: ORA-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter Error [message #59000 is a reply to message #58999] Mon, 20 October 2003 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmn
Has the listener startup?
If your OS is windows,you can reference the following article.

PURPOSE This note describes some of the possible reasons for ORA-12560 errors starting Server Manager or SQL*PLus on Windows NT Server. The list below shows some of the causes, the symptoms, and the actions to take. It is possible you will hit a cause not described here, in which case the information above should allow it to be identified.

SCOPE & APPLICATION Support Analysts and customers. ORA-12560 STARTING SVRMGR OR SQLPLUS ? TROUBLESHOOTING ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred. Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level transport errors.
For further details, turn on tracing and re-execute the operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete. This is a high-level error reporting that an error has occurred in the actual transport layer. Look at the next error down the stack and process that.
1. Starting Server Manager on Windows Terminal Server
Problem: You could get an ORA-09352 on version 7.x of the database, an ORA-12203 on version 8.0.x of the database, or an ORA-12560 on version 8.1.x of the database.
Solution: This is because the bequeath connection is not supported on NT terminal server.
Note 66397.1 (INTEL: Windows NT Terminal Server Support) shows the certification.

Explanation: Not supported on the terminal server release of NT.

2. Starting Database Via SVRMGRL or SQL*PLUS Problem: Launching svrmgr, or attempting a connection in sqlplus to start up the database results in an ORA-12560 error.
Solution:
, If the drive is NTFS, check the permissions on the drive or ORACLE_HOME to verify that SYSTEM has full control on all subdirectories and files.
, Verify that the instance is running. - Go to: Start->Settings->Control Panel->Services - Verify that the database service is started.
, Verify that the ORACLE_SID parameter is correctly set in the registry. - Go to: Start->RUN->regedt32 to start the Registry Editor. - Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREORACLE in the registry.
- Verify that the ORACLE_SID parameter is set correctly. - If you have multiple homes, they will be listed as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREORACLEHOME#. You need to check the appropriate home for your sid. - No spaces can be entered after the = when setting ORACLE_SID at the DOS Prompt. , Verify that the sid name does not contain a non-alphanumeric character. Sid names can contain only alphanumeric characters, however if you attempt to create a SID with an underscore or a dash on Oracle8i you are not prevented from doing so. The service will be created and started successfully, but attempts to connect will fail with an ORA-12560. , If doing the above does not resolve the errors on a new instance creation, the createdb scripts did not run correctly. Explanation: An ORA-12560 using svrmgrl on WinNT is usually an indication that the OS system/environment is not set up correctly. RELATED DOCUMENTS ----------------- Note:39774.1 LOG & TRACE Facilities on NET . Note:45878.1 SQL*Net Common Errors & Diagnostic Worksheet Net8i Admin/Ch.11 Troubleshooting Net8 / Resolving the Most Common Error Messages
Re: ORA-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter Error [message #59004 is a reply to message #59000] Tue, 21 October 2003 00:21 Go to previous message
LT
I have actually resolved this problem now! I had changed the name of my SID but neglected to update the script with the new SID name.

Sorry for wasting everyones time!
Previous Topic: Change permanent tablespace to temporary
Next Topic: change a temporary tablespace from permanet to temporaru
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:55:35 CDT 2024