Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Renaming of file
Renaming of file [message #58984] Mon, 20 October 2003 08:43 Go to next message
Shivalika Iyer
Hi,
I have move a database file to another machine due to space problem. I have the administrator and dba privilages in the server. I have mapped the folder as F: where file resides. Now, when tried to rename the file which was moved to another machine, with the command alter database rename file 'e:oralceoradatafile1.dbf' to 'f:file1.dbf'
I am getting the following error:
ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files
ORA-01141: error renaming data file 23 - new file 'F:INDEX5_1.DBF' not found
ORA-01110: data file 23: 'E:ORACLEORADATAfile1.DBF'
ORA-27041: unable to open file
OSD-04002: unable to open file
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

Can anybody tell me what is the probelem and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Renaming of file [message #58987 is a reply to message #58984] Mon, 20 October 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
When and how did you move the datafile ? Are you sure moving the datafile to a different machine and accessing it via shared filesystem is a good idea ? I would never advise that . They are not simple files, they are 'database' files...you will run into these sort of problems and more ..

-Thiru
The problem seems to be .... [message #58990 is a reply to message #58984] Mon, 20 October 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas G
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

The Oracle user cant't open that file. Have you set the permissions right ?
Re: The problem seems to be .... [message #59001 is a reply to message #58990] Mon, 20 October 2003 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shivalika Iyer
Yes, But still not working
Re: Renaming of file [message #59002 is a reply to message #58987] Mon, 20 October 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shivalika Iyer
I made the tablespace and datafile offline and moved it different machine. Mapped that location and tried to rename the file. I have no other option as we have ran out of space. Till we get upgrade we have run like this. Any suggestions?
Re: Renaming of file [message #59007 is a reply to message #59002] Tue, 21 October 2003 07:46 Go to previous message
Thiru
Just a couple of questions ...How are you going to ensure datafile consistency/integrity when the 'other machine' goes down or the network goes down or say DNS goes down etc etc...
I know you are running out of space on your database server,but moving one of the datafiles to a remote server and making it network shared, just doesnt look like a good idea to me..
Did you try alternatives like
removing ALL unwanted files from your database Server to free up space ( this includes backups,archivelogs,scripts,unnecessary binaries(both oracle and system),network logs,system logs,audit traces,trace files etc etc...)
- resize (reduce) Oracle data files to free up space
- drop unnecessary tablespaces,schemas after backup
etc etc..

BTW, your remote file is inaccessible for some reasons(can you check this at the OS level ..like redirect a fiile content to the remote file ? using oracle user , over the network )

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Oracle Instance
Next Topic: Date datatypes and indexes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:42:26 CDT 2024