Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Applying 9i logs to 8i database
Applying 9i logs to 8i database [message #58868] Tue, 07 October 2003 13:10 Go to next message
Girish
I am in the process of migrating 8.1.5 database to Oracle 9.2. I was wondering if I can apply the archived logs generated by the 9i database to the 8i database so that I can keep both the databases in sync. Just in case there are problems with any of our applications migrating to 9i database I should be able to switch back to the 8i database with minimum downtime.

Thanks

Girish
Re: Applying 9i logs to 8i database [message #58869 is a reply to message #58868] Tue, 07 October 2003 14:16 Go to previous message
Thiru
You cannot do that(ie applying archivelogs) across such major Oracle releases ,although I have been able to do so, across different maintenance releases of the same version in standby mode,although Oracle doesnt support it.

If you test all your apps thorougly,you shouldnt have any major surprises and even if you do encounter little surprises after the migration,you could fix them while being live, rather than switching back to 8i and repeating the whole cycle all over again. Ofcourse ,you can switch back to 8i,if the situation demands,loosing some transactions (or copy across selectively, if possible to minimise data loss).

-Thiru
Previous Topic: database in sync
Next Topic: Experience needed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:47:13 CDT 2024