Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Big Trouble!! Pls. Help
Big Trouble!! Pls. Help [message #58833] Fri, 03 October 2003 01:49 Go to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hi all,

I m facing through a serious problem. We have just installed Oracle 9.0.1.1.1 on Windows 2000 Server. We have 2 databases: MIS (Financial Data) & OEMREP (for Oracle Management Server).
Through OEM, I can see that it is using initialization file in ORACLE_HOME/sysman/ifiles/def_mis.ora for MIS& def_oemrep.ora for OEMREP

Why is it so that spfile is not used, then where all the dynamic changes will be made??

Infact the biggest problem is that when I am starting up the MIS database from SQL prompt using: startup pfile='ORACLE_HOME/sysman/ifiles/def_mis.ora' it is showing the instance name as oemrep(select instance_name from v$instance;), although the database is mis (select name from v$database;) which is impossible because db_name=mis & instance_name=mis in the def_mis.ora.
But, I wonder when same pfile is started through OEM, the instance name is shown as mis(by again going in SQL prompt there & running same select instance_name from v$instance;)

Any help highly appreciated.

TIA,
Sachin
Also........... [message #58834 is a reply to message #58833] Fri, 03 October 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Also when I am starting the MIS database from SQL prompt , I am getting some password file error for OEM repository (which is illogical)& db is only mounted & after that I have to open the db using : ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

TIA,
Sachin
Re: Big Trouble!! Pls. Help [message #58836 is a reply to message #58833] Fri, 03 October 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasad
Hi Sachin

'ORACLE_HOME/sysman/ifiles/def_mis.ora' is not the pfile, It is meant for Mangement Server Information.
U'r Parameter file will be generally will in the directory 'ORACLE_HOME/admin/MIS/pfile/init.ora'
So Run
set ORACLE_SID=MIS
sql> startup pfile='ORACLE_HOME/admin/MIS/pfile/init.ora'
Oracle 9i Generally starts with spifle, if u have not specified Explicitly.

and coming to Password file, Some Wrong Entries causing the problem.
U delete the password file and run using
ORAPWD utility
Generally password file will be 'ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initdw.

Finally Why are u using
9.0.1.1.1 when u have completed fixed version of

Thanks and Regards
Prasad
Re: Big Trouble!! Pls. Help [message #58837 is a reply to message #58833] Fri, 03 October 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
when you have multiple databases in the same machine,
you have set ur ORACLE_SID in env for startup/shutdown.
i dont know the architecture of windows bases systems much.
in unix, we have oratab file which will do the job.
so set your ORACLE_SID and start the database manually
or
use the services in control panel.

Re: Big Trouble!! Pls. Help [message #58838 is a reply to message #58836] Fri, 03 October 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
agreed
Re: Big Trouble!! Pls. Help [message #58839 is a reply to message #58838] Fri, 03 October 2003 06:40 Go to previous message
sachin kumar gupta
Thanx a lot for immediate advice. I think it will work out.

Bye,
Sachin
Previous Topic: init.ora file on Oracle 9.2
Next Topic: Problem in v$sort_usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:33:35 CDT 2024