Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Change the Auth Method?
Change the Auth Method? [message #58773] Tue, 30 September 2003 00:31 Go to next message
Anton Maleev
Hi,

I have a database using password authentication. How do I switch to OS authentication?

I already changed REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE to NONE, created a new spfile, but the problem is that one cannot connect to the instance (database is shutdown) using OS auth. Instead you login as sys as sysdba and... of course you don't have the privileges to startup the database anymore ;)))

How does sqlplus (or whatever process is verifying your credentials) determine whether to use password file or not?

Best regards,

Anton
Re: Change the Auth Method? [message #58775 is a reply to message #58773] Tue, 30 September 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba2rescue
Hi there,

The operating system user should be a part of the DBA group configured in your O/S. for eg: ORA_DBA on WIN2K or OSDBA group on UNIX etc...

only then you can follow the following procedure to startup the database:

c:> sqlplus /nolog

SQL> connect / as sysdba;
connected.

SQL> startup;

regards,
DBA2RESCUE
Re: Change the Auth Method? [message #58777 is a reply to message #58775] Tue, 30 September 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anton Maleev
Hi, thanks for your post.

It didn't work, I have tried similar things yesterday...
Re: Change the Auth Method? [message #58779 is a reply to message #58775] Tue, 30 September 2003 05:50 Go to previous message
Thiru
It's 'dba' group in Unix . OSDBA is a generic term used to refer to dba in Unix or ORA_DBA on Windows.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: recovering database
Next Topic: ORA-12547:TNS lost contact error while installing Oracle9i on AIX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:44:15 CDT 2024