help me [message #58598] Sun, 21 September 2003 02:40 Go to next message
Tom
RDBMS Version: 8.1.7
Operating System and Version: linux

Have error when startup database

Please show me the way to recover database:

-I updated table props$ :
update props$ set value$='VN8MSWIN1258' where name='NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET';

on database 8.1.7, after shutdown immediate and startup again the database is die with message:

SVRMGR> startup
ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area 150913700 bytes
Fixed Size 74404 bytes
Variable Size 99467264 bytes
Database Buffers 51200000 bytes
Redo Buffers 172032 bytes
Database mounted.
ORA-12701: CREATE DATABASE character set is not known
SVRMGR>

- The database is not open.Please tell me the way to recover database
Thank you!
Re: help me [message #58602 is a reply to message #58598] Sun, 21 September 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Tom,
When ,Where, Why , How did you update the props$ table !?

ORA-12701 CREATE DATABASE character set is not known

Cause: The character set specified in the CREATE DATABASE command does not exist on the system.

Action: Refer to your Oracle operating system-specific documentation for more information about character sets on the system. Use a valid character set in the CREATE DATABASE command.

Check your CREATE DATABASE statement and make sure the character set you specify is supported by your operating system and recreate it,if this is a new database.

Hope this helps
Thiru
Re: help me [message #58610 is a reply to message #58602] Sun, 21 September 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom
thanks a lot
is not a new database,then where to find the "CREATE DATABASE statement "
please tell me.
Re: help me [message #58619 is a reply to message #58610] Mon, 22 September 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Tom,
I am not sure if updating the props$ table directly to change the character set is supported as it can render the database unusable!. This table gets updated at the end of Database creation.
Did you try updating the sys.props$ table to put back the old value for the character set?

You should have tried the following :
ALTER DATABASE NATIONAL CHARACTER SET 'new_NCHAR_character_set' ;

What type of database is this ? ie production,development etc? Can you afford to recreate this ? Did you contact Oracle support ?

Rerunning 'CREATE DATABASE' command will recreate your database(ie overwrite everything). It can be found in your crdb scripts(ie database creation scripts) created manually or via database config assistant.

But check with Oracle support before proceeding ..

HTH
Thiru
Re: help me [message #58623 is a reply to message #58619] Mon, 22 September 2003 11:43 Go to previous message
Kartik Nair
Tom,

Hi. Shutdown the instance, mount the database by issuing the command startup moount.

Issue the Alter Database command specified by Thiru and provide the correct NLS parameter after reviewing the Oracle Documentation. You should be ok.

And as mentioned by Thiru do not run the create database command.

The other alternative is to copy all the datafiles, controlfiles & redo logs, archive logs (if any) to a new server where the same version of the Oracle Installation exists and bring up the database over there.

Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

rgs,
Kartik.
Previous Topic: How release Temporary Space???
Next Topic: Instance Password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:34:39 CDT 2024