Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem installing Oracle 8.1.7 PE on win2k advanced edition
Problem installing Oracle 8.1.7 PE on win2k advanced edition [message #58256] Sun, 10 August 2003 23:11 Go to next message
cw
I am a newbie in so far as Oracle is concerned, and I would appreicate some help on getting started.

I was trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 Personal Edition on a w2k server (advanced edition).

The installation ran fine until it hit the Net8 Configuration Assistant step (in optional component screen). The Universal Installer would simply become stuck in that step. Status column for that step says pending, and I tried to stop the step, without any response from the Installer.

I had a look at Install.log and there is no error message.

After exiting out of Installer (it does let me do that), I tried to run the net8 configuration assistant myself (seeing that it is meant to be an optional step). I had noticed that there is a OracleOraHome80TNSListener service (but not started) when I started up the Services MMC on the win2k server. After I used reconfiguration screen of Net8 Configuration Assistant, this service would then start up. One interesting thing is that after clicking "finish" on the Net8 Listener configuration screen, the Java front end would hang. The only way to exit out of it is to kill the jrew.exe using task manager.

In my orahome80 directory, I found a listener.ora as well as sqlnet.ora in the networkadmin subdirectory. However, there isn't a tnsname.ora (as I have been led to believe). I have tried to use tnsping to verify whether the listener is working. Unfortunately, regardless of whether the OracleOraHome80TNSListener service is running or not, TNSPing complains of not finding a listener. (My hostname and Port 1521 has been configured using Net8 Configuration Assistant, and I can see them in the listener.ora file as well).

Without a listener running, I was not able to run Database Configuration Assistant successfully. Each time when I tried to create a database, I would get an error message of "ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error".

I have tried reboot/deinstall/reinstall/stop/start services, and other usual tricks. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Re: Problem installing Oracle 8.1.7 PE on win2k advanced edition [message #58257 is a reply to message #58256] Mon, 11 August 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Is this a Pentium 4 machine? There are known issues with the P4.

MHE
It's a PIII box [message #58259 is a reply to message #58257] Mon, 11 August 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cw
Thanks for the response.
Just noticed that TNSPing works, but same error message when attempting to create DB [message #58260 is a reply to message #58259] Mon, 11 August 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cw
Still no luck trying to create the first DB using Database Configuration Assistant.
Re: Just noticed that TNSPing works, but same error message when attempting to create DB [message #58262 is a reply to message #58260] Mon, 11 August 2003 06:29 Go to previous message
Maaher
And a TNSping works? Perhaps you should look at Metalink. I've noticed that the combination Personal Oracle and Win2K does pose a couple of problems apparently. Quite a few people seem to encounter the same problem you have.

Sorry, can't help you any further with this one. I can only advise to visit MetaLink.

MHE
Previous Topic: BLOB (easy and quick one)
Next Topic: Instance has been terminated message in the event log
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:27:18 CDT 2024