Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Copy Archive Log files...
Copy Archive Log files... [message #58199] Wed, 06 August 2003 11:23 Go to next message
Brent Green
I want to copy my archive log files (.dbf files) from server A to Server B. How do I go about doing this?
Re: Copy Archive Log files... [message #58201 is a reply to message #58199] Wed, 06 August 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guanqing
Any operating system copy commands such as rcp, scp can do this job. Or you can ftp them from Server A to Server B.
Re: Copy Archive Log files... [message #58204 is a reply to message #58201] Wed, 06 August 2003 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brent
I can ftp to B but it causes problems on A.
Re: Copy Archive Log files... [message #58213 is a reply to message #58204] Thu, 07 August 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shad
Hi Brent.
-- What problem does it cause on A? Remeber for us to help each other we need to be specific about problems experienced.

You have a lot of options as Guanqing pointed out.
But I strongly recommend FTP.
Rember you have a choice on FTP. Either from A (mput to B) to from B (mget from A) as follows:

from A:
ftp -i B
enter username and password
cd /directory on B where you want to put files
mput *

or FROM B:
ensure you in the directory where you want to put files
ftp -i A
enter username and password
bin
mget *

That is all.
If you experience problems, let us know what they are.

By the way, you say these are archive log files BUT also say they are .dbf files which sounds like they are data files.
Don't your archive log files have extension like arc or arch ,etc?

Hope that helps
Cheers
Mbangi
Re: Copy Archive Log files... [message #58270 is a reply to message #58213] Mon, 11 August 2003 12:12 Go to previous message
Brent Green
Here is the script I ran:

export ORACLE_SID=PROD
export ORACLE_HOME=/u3/oracle/proddb/8.1.6
export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
DATE=`date +%d%b%Y%H%M`
LOG=/tmp/$$.log.$DATE

#
# Script starts here...
#
cd /ora_arch_log/PROD

sqlplus -s > $LOG <<-EOF
system/manager
ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE;
quit;
EOF

for FILE in `ls *.dbf`
do
compress $FILE
ftp >> $LOG <<-EOF
open finance2
cd /ora_arch_log/PROD_ora_arch_log
put $FILE.Z
quit
EOF

done

exit 0

Is there some code I am missing?

We ran into problems when the ftp_prod_arch_logs script was run in accpt and prod. The archiving process did not complete before we tried to dump a second archive log file. Multiple archive log processes were spawned until we ran out of memory (used ipcs and ipcrm to check out semaphores, etc). This hung the accpt instance and caused problems with the TNS subprocesses in prod. We shutdown accpt (db and apps) but on restart, they would not come up.
I used ipcrm -s to remove semaphores for accpt. After removing several processes, the ACCPT region, ACCPT came up. I felt that it was better to reboot the servr and clean up all the semaphores than to try to clean out the existing ones. We rebooted the server. This worked...

Do I need to put a sleep in the script to allow time for the archiver process to finish before the file is compressed and shipped?

Do I need to put in the cmd ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG STOP somewhere and then restart with cmd ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG START once the transfer is done?
Previous Topic: Memory addressability issues on Windows 2000
Next Topic: Output's File Path using XSU!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:33:49 CDT 2024