Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » DATA TRANSFERING
DATA TRANSFERING [message #57128] Thu, 22 May 2003 00:22 Go to next message
d2k-programmer
Hello experts !
I'm in need of ur advices to resolve my problem.

I'have been given the resposiblity to develop an integrated system for purchase,inventory and sales.
We have number of branches in various cities.
Each branches will have their own databases.
My problem is :
i want to transfer daily transactions to the head office db which is having all the branch data.
so i need to add the new branch transactions to this db.
how can i do this ? iuf i'm not mistaken exp/imp overites the db rather than adding new datas.
so, what should i do ? how can i transfer my datas ?

thanks
d2k-programmer
Re: DATA TRANSFERING [message #57138 is a reply to message #57128] Thu, 22 May 2003 06:37 Go to previous message
psmyth
Just some options...

Option 1
Export the data: copy all the data you need into a table, export that table. transfer table to head office, import table, run processing against imported table. when processing complete, drop imported table. Repeat as necessary.

Option 2
Run sql script to extract required data to csv file, transfer file to head office, use SQl*loader to load the data into database - you can script this kind of activity to check for the arrival of the csv file, sqlload the data into the database and then process the data and cleardown the table you loaded everything into.

Option 3
Set up db_links from the head office database to the branch databases. A scheduled procedure on the head office db will connect over the db_links and extract the data required and process it into the head office db. Its a nice solution, but dependant on the speed of the connection between the offices.

Also...
All connections should be over encrypted network connections (vpn, private fiber).

There are many ways of doing what you want to do... other than testing them out, there's no way to determine from the information you have provided what is the best option for you. but it should be fun to set up ;-)
Previous Topic: Oracle 8i Installation Problem
Next Topic: Whether changing the computer name affects the existing oracle setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:19:32 CDT 2024