Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Newbie Question
Newbie Question [message #55587] Sun, 02 February 2003 23:29 Go to next message
Goalie35
Hi guys.
I know the very basics to oracle but not much more beyond that(Building and editting tables). I'm still just a student but I'm getting there ;) ).
Anyway, I have an sql file called statistics.sql which I downloaded from the internet and I wanted to view it in oracle. I took the file and placed it in the propper Oracle directory however when I go to view it(DESC statistics), I get an error which says "ORA-04043: object statistics does not exist". I pretty much figured this was going to happen because I never loaded the file into Oracle. I only placed the file into the directory. How can I aleviate this problem?
Thanks in advance.
-Goalie35
Re: Newbie Question [message #55588 is a reply to message #55587] Mon, 03 February 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K k
Hey,
Looks like you're new to Oracle. No probs man.
You need to place the file in any directory.
Then connect to Oracle using the SQL plus and execute the command @full_path_to_filefilename.sql.
this will execute the file and run the sQL Statements contained inside.
You can then open the file in any text editor to see what it was supposed to do. After that you can check the database to see if it executed properly
Re: Newbie Question [message #55638 is a reply to message #55587] Thu, 06 February 2003 01:50 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
You can view only objects stored in the database, not external files. You have to do that with NOTEPAD.EXE or vi.

However, you can run this file from sQL*PLus:

SQL>@pathfilename.sql

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Patch
Next Topic: TNS name error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:27:29 CDT 2024