Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » one schema per use vs one schema per application.
one schema per use vs one schema per application. [message #55394] Wed, 22 January 2003 10:13 Go to next message
Misha
I have a burning question for the systems experts out there. We are developing a new WEB application based on the ORACLE 9i. Two of our DB designers have a disagreement on the signon process. One recommends to use a single schema per user for the security reasons and another one says one user is sufficient and will be more manageable then mulptiple users.

Background:
-Application uses tables and packages in one main schema
-Users can share data and don't have to have their own set of data or packages
-Access to the application is through the IIS

So here are out options:

Option A: One schema for everyone
pros: probably more memory effective; more manageable for database changes
cons: have to maintain our process for encoding/decoding passwords.

Option B: One schema per client
pros: ORACLE maintains passwords and user names.
cons: maintainability

Greatly appreciate your answers.
Re: one schema per use vs one schema per application. [message #55396 is a reply to message #55394] Wed, 22 January 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
depends on ur application and number ofusers.
say,
your application contains 100's of users.
then u cannot create schema for every users.
and if the schema / user is created dynamically from the app ( like createing email accounts),
IT WOULD BE SECURITY FLAW to create tablespaces, privs everything for him!!!.
we'been running web apps / websites with a few hundred users all sharing a single shema.
Re: one schema per use vs one schema per application. [message #55401 is a reply to message #55394] Wed, 22 January 2003 11:26 Go to previous message
Novy Durak
Thank you Mahesh for responding to my question, but your answer does not answer my question.

My question what are pros and cons of using multiple oracle loggins VS single Oracle loggin from the systems, maintenance, and/or application point of view.

Thank you for your support.
Previous Topic: Create database error -01501
Next Topic: ORA-06553 - PLS-213 : Package Standard not Accessible.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:02:31 CDT 2024