Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem in creating an Oracle 9i database on Solaris
Problem in creating an Oracle 9i database on Solaris [message #54408] Fri, 15 November 2002 06:46 Go to next message
Kishore
Hi,
I have a Sun Ultra machine running Solaris 8 , 64 bit version. 1 GB Ram and 2 GB swap are configured in the system. I am trying to install and create an Oracle 9i database. The problem I am facing is that -
1. The Oracle S/W gets installed without any problems. However, when it tries to create a database and start it, It hangs at the 50% mark. It does create the database files succesfuly.
2. I have tried running DBCA separately to create a database from standard templates and also by trying to create a new database. In all cases it hangs at 50%.
3. If try the manual approach of saving the DB creation scripts and then running them, it hangs at the "startup nomount" stage.

Is this a known problem for which I can get a ready solution somewhere? If no, what can I do to further diagonise the problem? Also, if i try to do a "connect internal" it asks me for a password. Is it because "connect internal" is no longer supported ?
Please help!!

Thanks and regards
Kishore
Re: Problem in creating an Oracle 9i database on Solaris [message #54409 is a reply to message #54408] Fri, 15 November 2002 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1. connect internal is depriciated with 9i.
2. First check the /etc/system entries for optimal
semaphore settings.
3. Make sure you EXPORT the env. parameters
ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_BASE
ORACLE_SID
4. Check the log files for more specific erros
Re: Problem in creating an Oracle 9i database on Solaris [message #54415 is a reply to message #54408] Fri, 15 November 2002 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
You can check your create.log files to see the exact errors. In your db creation scripts you always have spool /path/create.log . Check this file for the ORA- error.

Also every time db is mounted/started this even is recorded in alert file in BDUMP directory. The error messages could be there too.

Most probably you didn't setup the shared memory and semaphores parameter in your kernel and Oracle couldn't allocated enough of them. Edit your /etx/system file and add those entries:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=900
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=900
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=32767
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=900
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1200
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=900
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

The exact values you have to adjust for your system (the Installation Guide has the guidelines). Then reboot your machine.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Problem in creating an Oracle 9i database on Solaris [message #54425 is a reply to message #54415] Sun, 17 November 2002 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kishore
Hi Mahesh / Trifon,
Thanks a lot for your advice. There was indeed a problem with shmmax entry in the /etc/system file. After correction, I was able to create and start a db instance. Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
Kishore
Re: Problem in creating an Oracle 9i database on Solaris [message #55852 is a reply to message #54415] Thu, 20 February 2003 03:19 Go to previous message
uhk
I got another documentation and I alreaday set the /etc/system like that but it still come message ORA:27??? out of memory, I use 4CPU ultrasparcII and 4GB memory, how much should I set the /etc/system

thank's
Previous Topic: exp error, please help, urgent
Next Topic: Two serversystems of one PC!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 23:26:06 CDT 2024