Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Shutdown Immediate - HELP...
Shutdown Immediate - HELP... [message #53114] Wed, 28 August 2002 09:09 Go to next message
Red Jag
Hello.

I have a test db I am attempting to shutdown immediate so I can back it up. I have consultants in so it needs done soon. It has been hanging for over 2 hours. I have already issued a shutdown abort and startup and now have issued the shutdown immediate. I have also removed the .dat files from the otrace directory. My alert log has no errors and it says that smon is waiting for tx recovery. The consultants have been upgrading the application/cleaning up files in this database. I also attempted to create a couple of large indexes which ran for over 24 hours and I killed. The database was shutdown immediate just last week for a backup. Do I just have to wait or what?? I cannot select from fet$ or uet$ since it tells me Oracle is not available. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...
Re: Shutdown Immediate - HELP... [message #53115 is a reply to message #53114] Wed, 28 August 2002 09:58 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
I believe this is expected behavior. There may be a large transaction that has not been committed. It will need to rollback and may take some time.

Oracle is awaiting the clean-up of uncommitted transactions and/or the clean-up of existing processes.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Removing entry of a datafile from controlfile
Next Topic: Logging related question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:04:15 CDT 2024