Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Cna I encode oracle db data in utf-8?
Cna I encode oracle db data in utf-8? [message #53105] Wed, 28 August 2002 06:24 Go to next message
dunia
My java application insert/read data in unicode encoding from an oracle 8i db, that use the iso-8859-1 charset. Can i records the data in utf-8 encoding in this db (but not change the oracle settings for other dbs)? Please, post messages to dunia.pace@eng.it

Thanks
Dunia
Re: Cna I encode oracle db data in utf-8? [message #53107 is a reply to message #53105] Wed, 28 August 2002 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SKS
ALTER DATABASE db_name CHARACTER SET utf-8;
This statement would change the character set to utf-8 .
But the new character set must be super set of the old charcter set.
If the new character set
is not super set, then
Export the data,Create the database with new character set,Import the data. It will convert
the character set as specified by NLS_LANG parameter of that session.
Re: Cna I encode oracle db data in utf-8? [message #53122 is a reply to message #53105] Wed, 28 August 2002 11:17 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
I assume you have the default WE8ISO8859P1 CS. You cannot change the CS with ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET since this CS is not strict superset of UTF8. Only US7ASCII is superset of UTF8.

Change the CS of your database with export/import in new UTF8 database. Complete step-by-step instructions are listed Here and Here

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: BLOB Creation
Next Topic: help....sql loader and VB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:11:39 CDT 2024