Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Urgent: Data recovery
Urgent: Data recovery [message #53037] Mon, 26 August 2002 02:48 Go to next message
Denis Roy
I have an urgent and serious problem here with my Oracle instance. I know that I have no real clue what I am doing here and I promise to make myself familiar with the stuff I am working with and appropriate backup strategies but for the time being, any helpful hint is greatly appreciated.

I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux. Our file system somehow crashed and we restored the files from our RAID setup. I was able to recover the redo logs and two of three control files and all the data files. It looks like we are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode.

We also export the database daily. We never had a problem before with re-importing data to the database. With the current dump file, imp crashes after a certain table. With another dump file, it just skips some tables.

Now my next idea was to recover the database from a cold backup. When I startup the database, I get

ORA-00227: corrupt block detected in controlfile: (block 1, # blocks 1)
ORA-00202: controlfile: '/var/spool/ora8/m01/oracle/oradata/ora8/control02.ctl'

I assume that this is due to recovery from RAID. So I created a new control file with NORESETLOGS and startup mount'ed the database.

But now I am a bit clueless on how to proceed. I think I have to recover the database (in)completely? When I do a recover database, it always gives me

ORA-00279: change 21200170 generated at 08/22/2002 06:54:13 needed for thread 1
ORA-00289: suggestion : /var/spool/ora8/m01/oracle/product/817/dbs/arch1_3522.dbf
ORA-00280: change 21200170 for thread 1 is in sequence #3522

I then tried

alter database recover database until cancel

but I get the same error message but no prompt. Obviously, media recovery has been started but I don't see whether there is something going on since there is no prompt.

Can anybody help me. Thanks so much in advance.

Denis
Re: Urgent: Data recovery [message #53047 is a reply to message #53037] Mon, 26 August 2002 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dhiren
Seems that you have been trying too many things at the same time.(Always happens when you are tensed up).
Here are my comments dont know if they will be useful.

1 . If you are restoring from a cold backup you need
to have the control files which were pertaining to
the cold backup not the ones that you restored
from your Raid disk.
Another point is if one of the control files is
corrupt then you can disable it and let oracle
work with the other control files.
Probably just commenting the line in the init.ora
for that file should help.
Can you tell what exactly you have done from the time the crash occured.
U have mentioned that you recovered from the RAID disks,
and then you tried to import data from an earlier export file which is a bit confusing?. It is not
necessary to do that.
IF you write in detail it will help.
Dhiren
Re: Urgent: Data recovery [message #53078 is a reply to message #53037] Tue, 27 August 2002 10:33 Go to previous message
Grant
All your control files are the same. Shutdown the DB and copy one of the good ones to the name and location of the bad one and start it up.
Previous Topic: Re: Ora-01502
Next Topic: Problem during installing oracle apllication server.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 11:51:00 CDT 2024