Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » creating multiple databases on same net service name
creating multiple databases on same net service name [message #52355] Wed, 17 July 2002 08:55 Go to next message
V Sh
Hi all,
I am using Oracle 9i and I was wondering if we can use the same service name and create multiple databases on the same service name.
For example :
Net Service Name : mynewdb
Database Name1 : db1
Database Name2 : db2
Can I bind both of these databases to the same net service name and then is there anyway I can tell sqlplus to connect to db1 or db2 using netservice name 'mynewdb'?
Are there any changes to be made in the "init.ora" file of each database?
Please reply.
Thanks.

V.
Re: creating multiple databases on same net service name [message #52374 is a reply to message #52355] Thu, 18 July 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay
NO. You cannot do anything like that.

Remember that Net Service Name can be ANYTHING. I can have my cat's name and you can have your dog's, while both connecting to the same database db1.

Cheers.
Re: creating multiple databases on same net service name [message #52391 is a reply to message #52374] Thu, 18 July 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V Sh
Thanks for the reply.
So you mean to say that we cannot have same service name for two different databases? and hence for each database we need to have a different service name.

V Sh
Re: creating multiple databases on same net service name [message #52394 is a reply to message #52391] Thu, 18 July 2002 19:57 Go to previous message
V Sh
Thanks for the reply, Andrew.
What I am trying to say is that I have to create the same database again and again instead of creating instances of the same database and allocating those instances to the user. I am in a kind of situation where I need to have one user create one database and other user create the other database but the content of both the databases are same.
Now what I want to know is that can I be connecting to both the databases with the same service name? I guess I can't. I guess I have to specify a different service name for each kind of database that I create. Please reply me whether I am right or wrong over here.
Thanks.

V Sh.
Previous Topic: Re: OCP Practice tests - http://www.dbascripts.com/
Next Topic: my database runs slowly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 21:35:32 CDT 2024