Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Sequences
Sequences [message #52256] Thu, 11 July 2002 02:59 Go to next message
la_fouine
Hi there !

Here's my problem : I have 3 PL/SQL programms running in parrallel and analyzing a file in order to load data in a table. I access a sequence, the same in the three progs defined before starting them, in order to identify my lines.
The surprinsing thing is that I have holes in the column my sequence updates : the sequence seems to "jump" from a number to another. What's wrong with that ?
Re: Sequences [message #52259 is a reply to message #52256] Thu, 11 July 2002 05:23 Go to previous message
christopher
your sequence number keeps jumping becuase if you are using seq_name.nextval, it is always going to generate a unique number. Since you are running 3 programs referencing the same sequence, prog 1 grabs #1, prog 2 grabs #2, prog 3 grabs #3, then prog 1 grabs #4, prog 2 grabs #5, prog 3 grabs #6, etc.

If you do not want this to happen, then you need to either run the programs sequentially (1 after the other) or create a sequence for each program.
Previous Topic: Re: ORA-01092: Oracle instance terminated. Disconnection forced. error
Next Topic: oracel not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 21:42:25 CDT 2024