Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » pls clear this doubts.Pls
pls clear this doubts.Pls [message #51656] Wed, 05 June 2002 03:48 Go to next message
Prathee
Hi dear friendz,
I am new to database administration.
when I had attened some interviews
most of the places they asked me the following questions (I know I could not answer properly!!!)
1)What are the daily activities involved for a DBA??
(here word daily is important here)

2)give some reasons why Oracle is not responding looks like waiting for ever and ever( some points-interview point of view (I am getting trapped every where. from your points I will study further.Pls))

3) Now a days what is the size of a medium sized database using in a medium sized company

4)If there is option called "AUTOEXTEND ON"
then Why we are worrying about the capacity planning?? Any reasons for it??

If you can tell me this , it will be so helpful for me
in developing more knowledge in DB administration.

Regards

-prathee
Re: pls clear this doubts.Pls [message #51658 is a reply to message #51656] Wed, 05 June 2002 04:23 Go to previous message
sai sreenivas jeedigunta
hi, to answer your question, i need to publish a book here..
Well anyways
1 . Daily activities. .. Checking the Alert logs evry day morning, monitoring the databases, Checking the performance, monitoring the user activities and taking the backup daily/weekly depends on the setup.

2. ORacle waiting for ever and ever.. Mostly this happens if u update a record which is currently updated by another user.. u will hang till the other one commits.. May b this could be the reason..

3. Now a days medium Size database... No answer is accurate for this, but yes we can say around 10GB...

4. Autoextend on will surely do the job, but what about the capasity of the memory.. in case memory is full, what will an AUTOEXTEND can do ? ...

hope this gives u an estimate...

Regards
SAI
Previous Topic: Re: oracle for windows xp
Next Topic: Re: NOT NULL Columns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 18:53:42 CDT 2024