Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » real time priority
real time priority [message #51621] Mon, 03 June 2002 09:08 Go to next message
Jhon Bruinsma
Hi,
This could well be a stupid question, but I would like to ask it anyway: On Win2k, the oracle service runs with "normal" priority. When I change it to "real time" (just with the task manager-set priority), I observe that it really runs faster (for example, an imp with normal takes 3 hours, the same imp with real time takes only about 2 hours).
So, why doesn't everybody, on a true dedicated Oracle server at least, runs oracle with real time priory? Except possibly that a crash at Oracle can crash the OS as well (?). But possibly there are other catches?
Any comment is highly appreciated !!
Thanks!
Re: real time priority [message #51627 is a reply to message #51621] Mon, 03 June 2002 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
Setting Oracle service with real-time priority could allocate too much CPU cycles and some I/O operations or OS kernerl might suffer from all that.

I am running the Oracle services on Windows with high priority, which gives me a boost and still does not go to extreme.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Re: real time priority [message #51645 is a reply to message #51627] Tue, 04 June 2002 10:52 Go to previous message
Jhon Bruinsma
Thanks for your comment. Seems that high priority is a good alternative. Do you perhaps know how to set the service at high priority automatically (also automatic high priority after a reboot) ?
Thanks !!
Previous Topic: semaphores settings in unix..please help??????????
Next Topic: Have difficulty in reading tkprof result.Please help.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 18:54:28 CDT 2024