Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » i need help on the following situation
i need help on the following situation [message #51543] Wed, 29 May 2002 15:52 Go to next message
Sushil
i have encountered the following situation i need help on it.

Brief

A business firm has acquired a new server to manage its database system. Windows NT operating system and Oracle database server has been installed on the machine. The server has three (3) hard disk drives; drive designations C, D and E. A database has been freshly created using CREATE DATABASE command. The database files are located as follows:

File Type Path
Control File C:orantdatabasecontrol01.ctl
Parameter File C:orantdatabaseinitdbxx.ora
Password File C:orantdatabasepwddbxx.ora
Data File (size 200M) D:orantdatabasesystem.dbf
Redo log file 1 of group1 D:orantdatabaselogsredo0101.log
Redo log file 2 of group1 E:orantdatabaselogsredo0102.log
Redo log file 1 of group2 D:orantdatabaselogsredo0201.log
Redo log file 2 of group2 E:orantdatabaselogsredo0202.log
(Size of each redo log file = 150k)

Requirements
Read and answer the questions that follow

a) After the database creation you execute the following SQl statement and receive an error

SQL> SELECT * FROM CAT;

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

What is causing this error and how would you rectify it.

b) Which script would you execute to establish usage of PL/SQL functionality

c) i. Currently only one control file is present in the database system. For the sake of safety it is required to multiplex the existing control file. The new control file (control02.ctl) should be located in the following c:orantdatabasectrl. List the steps to successfully multiplex the existing control file and also include any commands and or SQL statements that will be used in the process.

c) ii. Write a query to see if control files have been successfully multiplexed after the database has been opened.

d) Write SQL statement(s) that will add another redo log group to the database system, thus making 3 the number of redo log groups. File location, naming convention and sizing should be consistent with the existing set of redo log files.

e) To further improve the reliability of the database system write SQL statement(s) that will add one additional redo log member to each group. The members are to be placed in the folder C:orantdatabaselogs. Again existing file naming and sizing conventions should be adopted.

f) Write an SQL statement which will verify that redo log files and groups in part d) and e) have been successfully added.

g) It is discovered that the status of some group members is INVALID. How can the status of these members be made VALID.

h) Due to shortage of space on D: drive it is required to move system.dbf data file to C:orantdatabase. List the steps and any other commands or SQL statements that will carry out the required task.

i) List the steps and any other commands or SQL statements that will archive the online redo log files to the folder C:orantdatabasearchive

j) List the steps and any other commands or SQL statements that will make a cold backup of the database system to the folder F:orantdatabasecoldbkup on the tape drive

k) Write a command that will export full database to the file E:orantdatabaseexportfull_exp_<date>.dmp. Choose options during export that will ensure that current extent sizes will be retained if the database is imported later on from this file. Furthermore, choose data exportation path, which is faster.

l) Write a SQL statement that will copy EMP table from user scott's schema to user <your_ID> schema.

m) Briefly describe four (4) measurable goals of tuning a database system

n) Write a SQL statement that will create a tablespace named INDEX. The underlying data file shall be index.dbf located under the directory C:orantdatabase. The initial size of file should be 2MB and can automatically extend by 500KB when more extents are required.

o) Write a query to display the number of fragments, the total free space and the largest free extent in each tablespace.

p) Write a SQL statement that will create a B-tree index named PRODUCT_NAME_IDX on the NAME column of PRODUCT table in user system's schema. Place the index in the tablespace created in part n).

q) Write a SQL statement that will re-create the PRODUCT_NAME_INX index without dropping and re-creating it, and retain it in the same tablespace as before.

r) Due to database maintenance works it is required that no low privileged users be present in the database system. List the steps and any other commands or SQL statements that will ensure this.
Re: i need help on the following situation [message #51546 is a reply to message #51543] Wed, 29 May 2002 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vikas Gupta
You have to run catalog.sql, catproc.sql, caths.sql
scripts after creating the database.

shutdown the database and change the initSid.ora
parameter:
controlfiles=controlfile1,controlfile2

you can check the status in v$controlfile view.

d) Alter database add logfile ________________ size __
e)Alter database add logfile member ______ to group 3
f) v$log and v$logfile views.
g) Alter System Switch logfile;

Too Many questions...
Re: i need help on the following situation [message #51552 is a reply to message #51543] Thu, 30 May 2002 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Hire an Oracle DBA.
Re: i need help on the following situation [message #51554 is a reply to message #51552] Thu, 30 May 2002 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pravin Raharekar
Hi,

Which type of Oracle DBA you required Application DBA or Oracle DBA only.

Thanks and Regards

Pravin
Re: i need help on the following situation [message #52888 is a reply to message #51543] Mon, 19 August 2002 05:16 Go to previous message
Luciano Menaldino
I work on Oracle 8.0.6 on HP-UX 11 Server

Last friday for a sequence of wrong operation the redo.log files disappear.

Using SVRMGRL I have tried to SHUTDOWN and STARTUP the database, but is no more possible to mount it.

There is a solution for my problem or lose the redo.log files are so critical?
Previous Topic: PL/SQL LDAP API
Next Topic: Any tools to view the tables' relationships?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:09:29 CDT 2024