Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Creating Datafiles
Creating Datafiles [message #51310] Wed, 15 May 2002 04:38 Go to next message
Saravana Kumar
I have my Oracle8i installed in C drive in WINNT. Now I want to create a datafile in D drive since I dont have enough space in C. When I try to create one, I am getting the following errors :

OSD-04002 : Unable to open file
O/S ERROR : OS 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

ORA-01119 : Error in creating database file.

I have installed the Oracle as ADMINISTRATOR(in NT) user and also I am working always as an ADMINISTRATOR. Even then I am not able to create a datafile.(even from the System user).

Please help.
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51324 is a reply to message #51310] Wed, 15 May 2002 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anil
Hi buddy,

I hope you are running the create database script from SVRMGR> only. If not then run svrmgrl, then connect internal and then run the script. Make sure the script file should be .sql extension. Hope this works.

Take care,
Anil.
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51328 is a reply to message #51324] Wed, 15 May 2002 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vikas Gupta
Hello,

Can u check if a database file with the same name exists in the directory. If so then you have to use another name. Also check if you have sufficient space in the harddisk.
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51339 is a reply to message #51324] Thu, 16 May 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Is the D drive local?
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51342 is a reply to message #51324] Thu, 16 May 2002 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radek
Hi,
I am just guessing here. I am using unix all time, so ...
I would try to swap backslashes with regular slashes in the path. So command will look like this:
alter tablespace test_default
add datafile 'd:/oracledata/test.dbf' size 100m;
If this does not help, ask your NT sysadmin to give you local administrator role for machine. "Access denied" error looks to me as you do not have write permissions on disk. But on windows you never know.
Radek
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51349 is a reply to message #51324] Thu, 16 May 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anil
Hi Buddy,

For the errors which you are facing have many possibilities. Firstly try to check, do you have ENOUGH SPACE in your D: drive. B'coz you are asking the datafile size 100MB. If there is space then please change the filename and its extension. As you are specifying the same name of tablespace to datafile. And also see if it has already created the file before. If so then delete it and then run the command again.
Even after the above modifications if you face same errors then try to check wheather Windows NT is able to handle so many files on your drive.
Please mail me for any good or bad results.

Take care,
Anil.
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51363 is a reply to message #51310] Fri, 17 May 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
If your database runs under the system user will need to add system to the administrator group or create an oracle user and give it administrator and change your services to run under that account. Once you have done that grant access to the user running the oracle services to the D drive.
Re: Creating Datafiles [message #51436 is a reply to message #51324] Thu, 23 May 2002 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saravana Kumar
Well, I have 16 GB in my hard disk.

The directory I am trying to use is completely empty.

I am able to create a file thru DOS window(even the same file name). I am the administrator user in NT and SYSTEM user in Oracle. I tried withe lot of filenames like, test.dbf, testdata.dbf, etc.

Even then I could not.
Re: Creating Datafiles - I got the solution [message #51547 is a reply to message #51324] Wed, 29 May 2002 23:06 Go to previous message
Saravana Kumar
Actually, filesystem in C: FAT and filesystem of D: was NTFS. That is why I could not use D: to create any datafile. I deleted D: partition and reformatted it in FAT only. Now I am able to use D: for creating datafiles. Thanks to everybody who answered my question.

Regards
Saravanan Kumar
Previous Topic: Re: error:ORA-12154
Next Topic: Truncate all tables in database-- in short remove all the data.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 19:05:10 CDT 2024