Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Database migration between NT and Unix
Database migration between NT and Unix [message #50874] Fri, 12 April 2002 00:26 Go to next message
hemant
I have an Oracle database setup on Windows NT, with
data entered in the database.

I want to shift my data to Oracle on Sun, and
scrap the Oracle on Windows NT.

How do I do it?
Re: Database migration between NT and Unix [message #50877 is a reply to message #50874] Fri, 12 April 2002 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shri
hello,
very simple but a lenghtly procedure. what you have to do take a full database export or backup of the database under NT. Install Oracle under sun. Now try to install oracle Import and export utility in one of the NT CLIENT or install oracle Server in one of the terminal. create an NEt8 connectivity from an NT client to sun server(oracle). from the Nt client import the data to the ORacle under sun.. so simple

all the best
chil
Re: Database migration between NT and Unix [message #50887 is a reply to message #50877] Fri, 12 April 2002 05:38 Go to previous message
Sanjay Bajracharya
It is indeed simple but lengthy as mentioned. Here it is in more simple words.

1. Install Oracle in the Sun server. I presume that you are moving to a same level of Oracle (8.1.7 on NT to 8.1.7 on Sun)
2. Create a database in the Sun box just the way it was in NT box. Of coarse, the database is empty as there is no data yet. Check for connectivity to this database/server.
3. Take a full export of the current database (NT). Shutdown the database as you do not want any more data to be entered or changed.
4. FTP the export file (will be big enough) to the Sun box.
5. Import the data in the new database in the Sun box.
6. Make changes in all client machines to point to the new database (Sun box).
7. Make sure the Old NT box database is shutdown and stays like that.

I don't know what Shri was talking about saying to install import/export utility in one of the NT client or installing oracle server in one of the terminal.

Good luck.
Previous Topic: Query size and Time
Next Topic: Migration Of Oracle from NT to Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 13:30:16 CDT 2024