Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Role of database timezone?
Role of database timezone? [message #28279] Sun, 14 December 2003 19:10 Go to next message
Richard Mayanja
I don't understand the role of the database timezone. what are the implications of making changes on database timezone? On what basis should I determine and set my database timezone?
Re: Role of database timezone? [message #28286 is a reply to message #28279] Sun, 14 December 2003 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

A database doesn't have a time zone setting (except for formatting parameters - see NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS).

The database's time zone is obtained from the operating system. Look at this example:
SQL> SELECT DBTIMEZONE FROM DUAL;
DBTIMEZ
-------
+00:00

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Role of database timezone? [message #28302 is a reply to message #28279] Mon, 15 December 2003 05:41 Go to previous message
Thiru
Richard,
Database's timezone ( I havent used this, so just from the documentation) , is applicable to columns defined TIMESTAMP WITH LOCAL TIME ZONE and is either defined at the database creation time or altered later(ALTER DATABASE SET TIME_ZONE) or defaulted to the OS time zone.

Normally,its the same as the OS time zone.

eg)
SQL> select dbtimezone from dual;

DBTIME
------
-05:00

SQL> !grep TZ /etc/default/init
# TZ, LANG, CMASK, or any of the LC_* environment variables.
TZ=US/Eastern

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Temp Tablespace not being flushed automatically
Next Topic: How to flush a Locally Managed Temporary Tablespace?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:30:49 CDT 2024